Saturday, January 12, 2013

So I've promised pictures for a long time

And today I finally have united: a laptop, my camera, an internet connection, and electricity.  And it's working!  Let's see how many photos I can get posted before something goes wrong :)
This is the terrace of Mariama's house, where I live: I spend a lot of afternoons hanging out with her here.  She sells bags of peanuts, fried doughballs, lollipops, and oranges, and her location is great: we're at the crossroads of the paved road and the gravel road that leads down to the towns of Redufellow, Telire, and Afia Madina. 
And this is me and my counterpart, Diouma Fleur, at the waterfalls of Kambadaga.  Yes, part of my job is go hiking to beautiful places and take pictures.  How did I get this lucky? 


And this is the view from my terrace.  Amazing, eh?  This is looking north across the valley; Afia Madina is on the valley floor; Mitty is higher up, in the distance. 
Here's my house: I have two rooms on the right hand side of the house; the left hand side is for Mariama's husband when he visits Sebhory. 
Here is Hassanatou, my constant companion (or at least, that's what she wishes... she's even asked if she can sleep at my house.  But my bed is small!)  She is six years old-- she'll be starting first grade next year. 

And here is Diouma again, holding up a honeybee comb while Brittany, another Agroforestry volunteer, looks on.  Admire the appropriate technology of the Kenyan-style beehive!
OK, that's enough photos for one day-- I don't want to push my luck. 



1 comment:

  1. FINALLY!!! :) :) :) You know, though, now you're going to have to update your blog more and give us more photos. Those waterfalls are gorgeous. As is your house! More more more!

    ReplyDelete