Sunday, November 4, 2012

First month at post, by the numbers

100: times I say "On jarama" (I greet you) on an average day as I stroll down the main road-- at least there are plenty of people who are willing to help me learn Pulaar!
12: marriage proposals I've received, immediately following "On jarama"
0: serious marriage proposals I've received (i.e., delivered through an intermediary, rather than casually tossed in with small talk)
7: monkeys I've spotted, raiding people's gardens or bouncing away through the meadows
4.5: snakes I've seen.  The 0.5 was a very flat stripe on the road that I think used to be a snake.  And don't worry, the other four were all quite far away and headed the opposite direction from me. 
2: weekends spent digging potatoes.  Yes, it's true, I traveled halfway around the planet to do the same things I do in America. 
1: morning spent harvesting fonio.  Now that's a little more exotic than potatoes!
2: houses in my concession (walled yard): mine, and Mariama's.  She makes an incredibly good sauce from peanut butter and sweet potato leaves!
5: chubby black goats that live in my concession
at least 12: fruit trees in my concession
200 (at least!): cassava plants surrounding my house.  Good to know we have a secure food source behind our concession walls, should a zombie horde attack Sebhory. 
1927: the post office box you should be sending letters to!  My full address is:

Anna Petersons, PCV
s/c Corps de la Paix
B.P. 1927
Conakry
Republique de Guinee

No comments:

Post a Comment